Although freelancing is a type of business you can start from home, it isn’t the only type of home business you can start.
First, with a freelancing business, you are usually starting a service business. This will require a certain amount of commitment on your part that isn’t always required with other types of home businesses.
Second, you need to really take a look at the skills that you have for starting a freelancing business. With a freelance business, you need to be an expert when you’re first starting out.
If you’re ready to start your first freelancing business, here are some steps to get you started:
1. Before you spend any money, before you build a website, you need to carefully plan your new business. This includes setting up your business books and bank account, licensing, and assessing your skills accurately to see what type of services you can offer.
2. Once you decide what type of services you want to offer, you need to think about a website, as well as domain name and hosting. Although you may not think that you need an online presence if you are offering your services locally, you have a better chance of succeeding if you set up an online presence first. Here’s why:
Often many people will go online to do research for services, even if they are thinking of buying locally. By setting up an online presence, you can tell others more about what your business is about and answer basic questions. This will save you a lot of time because you won’t be answering the same questions over and over again, which can be very time consuming.
Also, you can add your website address to your business cards. Although this isn’t as “cool” as it used to be, it can still help you differentiate yourself from a lot of other businesses that do the same thing.
Fact is, over 50 percent of small businesses today don’t have a website. By having an online presence, you can spread your reach for your business and possibly expand.
3. When you’ve set up your presence, whether it’s online, offline, or both, then you need to start thinking about how you will market and advertise your business.
Different types of services can be better marketed different ways. You can use free or low cost classified ads, both online and offline, flyers, business cards, bulletin boards or other ways can help you get the word out about your freelancing business.
4. After creating your marketing campaign, you want to test and track your campaign, as well as continue to market. Consistent marketing helps you continually get your name, as well as the name of your business, out there so that others know about you. If no one knows about you, you won’t find new businesses.
5. Look at new ways to grow your business. This can include adding products, adding new services, or even marketing affiliate programs. Look at your current line of services and see which services are doing best. The services that are doing well may even be another place where you can grow because you can raise your prices once you’re established.